Monday, June 29, 2015

American Flag Wood Blocks

Mornin' hens!
I saw this idea on Pinterest HERE, and decided to give it a try but with a slightly different look.
While the polka dots are super cute, I wanted to have the blocks look more like a real American flag.  So here's what I did....


The blocks are actually made from a 4x4 post.  The DH cut them into 7" pieces for me and then I sanded each to remove any splinters.  Next, I applied two coats of white spray paint to all three blocks and I let that dry for about 30 minutes.  To make the white stripes, I applied 1" painters tape (2 stripes to only the bottom portion of the first block, and 4 stripes to the second and third blocks).  You'll also want to cover the entire top area of the first block for this step.  Then I applied two coats of red spray paint.  I let that dry for about 30 minutes as well.


Now you can pull off all the painters tape and... here's the fun part - TADA!  Your stripes magically appear.  Tee-hee!  Ok, now for the stars.  You'll want to tape off the bottom 3 stripes on the first block to avoid overspray.  Then I cut 1" star masks from vinyl using my Silhouette Cameo and adhered 5 of them on each side.  Then I applied two coats of navy blue spray paint.  After about 30 minutes, I pulled off the star masks with tweezers and then removed the painters tape. To finish, I distressed them a bit with sandpaper and tied a bow with some jute twine.  AWESOME sauce!!  The DH was able to cut 9 blocks from the one pole he bought, so I made 3 sets of these.  July 4th is one of Lil' Chicks' favorite holidays, so I know she'll love these.  The third set was for my sister.  Okee dokee, that's it for me today.  I hope you hens have a MAHVELOUS Monday!  {{{hen hugs}}}

Supplies:    


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love them. You did an excellent job with these.

    ReplyDelete

I just love hearing from da hens!! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Cluckity-cluck!